26 June 2014
100.122 Bugfix Release
- Include email of licensed users in report for followup.
- If Error or Exception recovery fails, file a report.
- Use CardView to display license details. Much nicer!
- Minimum window size is now 600x200 to prevent auto layout exceptions
- No longer report AXExceptions (which are apparently normal)
- Added ILExceptionRecovery class to ReportWindow framework
- Update Sparkle (Includes modal window bug fix found in development)
- Attempt to recover from some cases of RadioStore corruption
100.120 Bugfix Release
100.117 Bugfix Release
- Fixes crash if Bonjour Service resolution fails
- Cleanup of Bonjour toolbar and service icons
100.115 Bugfix Release
- Info and Plugins panels now snap shut when near window border
- Timeline sliders are now synched between windows
- Info panel no longer gets stuck closed after visiting Location plugin
- Window positions are now saved between launches
- New windows always open with a plugin
- Minimum font size is now 6pt (happy now NSA?)
- Preferences for check for update, daily or weekly, auto-download
- Bonjour browsing performance and reliability improved
100.104 Bugfix Release
- Integrates "Let's Move" to put iStumbler in Utilities on first run
- Fixes font-size bug from 100, you can now scale all fonts from 9 - 24pt throughout
- Adds new 'Hairline' and 'Boldline' drawing options for the charts
- Tweak the location format so the degrees, minutes and seconds symbols are back at the top-line
- Fixes bug that prevents quitting the app when the store sheet is on screen
- Prevents editing of the Location table, leading to a crash
- Offline store page is back online
- Log prefs renamed to 'Logging'
- 100.92 Re-introduces Sparkle
- 100.90 Fixes Wi-Fi Preferences Crasher
Integrates Stripe payment processing for credit cards, with direct license download
- 100.88 Fixes Log Preferences
Fixes issue with store prompting after a license is loaded
Spiffy New MAC address formatting
- New graphs. S/N Graphs as sparklines in the Wi-Fi and bluetooth tables
- multiple windows, along with a unified window design
- reorganized info panels - more info, less clutter
- units throughout - better formatting in the tables
- updated graphics - some things still need to be updated but the wi-fi locks are nice
- so many other changes I forget, and lots of fun new bugs
- who goes a year between release candidates and ups the OS requirement by one major version!?
- Fixed crash in the Bonjour plugin, improved name resolution performance
- Hi-Dpi icon for fancy new MacBook Pros (see above)
- Adopts ARC for memory management
- Signed for Gatekeeper
- Scan Tables in AirPort and Bluetooth plugins can now show results for the last scan only
- Signal and noise percentage calculation improved to take channel width into account, channel width shown in scan table
- New icon, redrawn from scratch in the amazing and wonderful iDraw
- removed Sparkle updater, thanks the Andy and the team for this great piece of Open Source Software
- CRASH! This build contains a crashing bug which occurs some time after the Bonjour plugin is selected, fix is in the works
- Fixes a crash when browsing large bonjour networks
- Starts Bonjour browsing when you activate the Bonjour plugin
- Starts Bluetooth inquiry when you activate the Bluetooth plugin
- Fixes crash when bluetooth is turned off
- Improves Bonjour browsing performance
- Fixes crash on quit
- Built on Mac OS 10.7 Lion
- Fixed a crasher in the presence of Wi-Fi networks with an empty SSID on [REDACTED]
- Fixed a crasher in the Bluetooth plugin on [REDACTED]
- Persistent Data: Core Data migration is complete and iStumbler now saves data across sessions
- Sample Coalescing: Samples are grouped and averaged as they age to allow for storage of years worth of historical data
- Re-introduced the slider in the lower-right corner of the window, now controls the amount of history visible in the table
- Graph time-scale changes to show data for longer time periods (up to one week of historical data)
- Fixed a first-run issue with the toolbar style being set incorrectly
- Rejiggered the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth toolbars to make them similar
- All toolbars are the same height, buttons and graphs are enlarged
- All MAC addresses are displayed in canonical format:
- Restored logging output for Wi-Fi and Bonjour messages, log font changed
- Updated OUI Vendor database, now contains almost 15,000 entries
- Resolves threading bug in the Bonjour plugin that lead to UI lockups
- Alphabetize Bonjour domain and host name columns
- Improvements to Bonjour Browsing with wide-area domains and large networks
- Growl Notifications for Bluetooth devices now include the device icon
- Wi-Fi Scans and Bluetooth inquiry results are reported in the status line
- Last seen column now correctly computes hours and days
- Performance improvements when displaying large numbers of samples
- Distance and Bearing Columns in Location plugin are now properly formatted
- Buttons upgraded
- Bluetooth Plugin now shows signal strength and graph for connected devices
- Last seen time is now displayed in hours, minutes and seconds ago instead of a date
- Refined Data Model for improved performance
- cleaned up a few small memory leaks
- Transitioned to CoreData for in memory storage of radio info
- fixed layout of 5ghz bands in spectrum plugin
- fixed crasher in the presence of open networks
- switched to the LLVM compiler
- adds a new spectrum plugin
- adds a new plugin task engine
- this build is 64 bit only
16 February 2010
- Updated the AirPort Plugin to work with CoreWLAN on SnowLeopard.
- AirPort Monitor updated to use the HUD window style and support for multiple monitors
- Updated the Location Plugin to work with CoreLocation on SnowLeopard
- Bluetooth Plugin now performs SDP queries to get service types for the inspector
- Numerous small bug fixes, incomplete features removed and general cleanup
4 February 2007
- Re-written AirPort plugin now correctly reports signal for all AirPort chip-sets, provides more information about all networks.
- The info window is now resizable.
- Signal and Noise are reported as a percentage of theoretical maximum.
- AirPort Inspector shows dBm values when available.
- Empty Cache command clears out the AirPort and Bluetooth Radio information.
- Spectrum widget is now a univeral binary.
29 August 2006
- Updated to 'Polished Metal' interface, thanks to Matt Gemmell's TunesWindow, iTableColumnHeader and iTableView packages.
- Updated to Sparkle 1.1 courtesy of Andy Matuschak.
- Added credits and licensing to the about box.
- Added donation nag panel when starting the app, please donate!
15 January 2006
- New Icon
3 August 2005
- iStumbler introduces the Spectrum Widget for Mac OS 10.4 Tiger
- Spectrum Widget: shows signal strength and frequency history for all visible and connected networks.
- Spectrum Widget: shows network frequency overlap.
- Bonjour Plugin: can now browse wide-area bonjour services
- Bonjour Plugin: inspector overhauled, added address and service keys for Mac OS 10.4 Tiger
- Bonjour Plugin: preferences, enabled browser mode option
- Bonjour Plugin: preferences, added service display option
- GPS Plugin: removed from this release for maintenance
- Developer: All products are built against the 10.4 Universal SDK
- Developer: All products are built for i386 & PPC
- Developer: RadioStoreRemote interface for Distributed Objects
- Developer: RadioStore Sample simplified for remote usage
- Developer: broke the project out into various sub-projects, making it easier to copy plugins and re-use the frameworks.
6 June 2005
- Status is back! The status display now responds to the istumbler.status notification
- Status fades away over about ten seconds, looks pretty cool
- Added status messages for switching plugins
- Log now lazy-opens the log file, and will no longer create an empty file each time iStumbler opens
- Added help text to preference dialogs, made the default size wider to accommodate more plugins
- AirPort plugin can now show the frequency a radio is using
- Added formatters for RSRadios & FourCorners Locations
- Log now uses the registered formatters to display messages
- Log now summarizes multiple entries and displays each item on its own line, properly formatted
- Significant overhaul of image handling within iStumbler dramatically reduces the amount of memory used
- fixed major memory leak on Tiger
- Added Vendor database with more than 800 ethernet and wireless card mfgrs. listed.
- Bluetooth and AirPort plugins can now show the vendor of a particular network.
20 April 2005
- mDNS Plugin re-labeled as Bonjour following Tiger announcement
- Fixed GPS serial bug with bluetooth phones
- GPS Prefs now allow you to select the serial device with GPS
- GPS Plugin now shows a list of known locations
- GPS Plugin can place a pin in the list of locations
- GPS Plugin can place a note in the list of locations
- GPS Plugin automatically records the initial gps point
- Tweaked linker settings to get prebinding enabled again
- Tweaked icon sizes in AirPort and Bluetooth Menus
- Removed debug messages from log
- Cleaned up imports in RadioStore.framework
- Plugins framework cleanup, better class names and imports
- New GPS Framework FourCoorners based on the FourCoordinates framework
- Added Plugins Page to Site
- Added Developer Pages to Site
20 March 2005
- iStumbler can now adjust the text size used in the interface
- iStumbler can now adjust the toolbar style for all plugins
- iStumbler remembers toolbar style and text size across reboots
- iStumbler can now display help on the loaded plugin from the help menu and the help button on the main window.
- The ISPlugin class is replaced by the Plugins framework
- the Plugins framework adds support for help, home pages & RSS feeds
- All Plugins are converted to use the Plugin base class
- All Plugins are now configured with property file info
- The PluginManager now unloads plugins when the application quits
- GPS plugin re-introduced
- GPS plugin automatically uses the first serial device it finds
- GPS plugin won't load if there are no serial devices on the system
- GPS plugin provides a log view of the GPS coordinates
- GPS plugin moves the location info to the inspector panel
- GPS plugin closes the connection on sleep and reopens on wake
- GPS plugin closes the baseband connection to a bluetooth GPS device when quitting or on startup, if it's still open
- GPS plugin toolbar includes a location display
- GPS plugin toolbar includes tools for displaying the map location on Google Maps, WiFi Maps, A2B, GeoURL and US Census Maps.
- Subscriber plugin introduced
- Subscriber plugin shows subscribe and shop pages
- mDNS plugin can now display unicode host names without crashing
- AirPort plugin can now ignore ad-hoc radios when Auto-Selecting
- AirPort plugin can now identify and show icons for five different network types: open, closed, open ad-hoc, closed ad-hoc and .public
- AirPort plugin's icons are updated and displayed on the join buttons.
- AirPort plugin updated the order of tabs on the inspector panel
- AirPort plugin updated to track GPS position if available
- AirPort plugin updated to improve thread safety
- Bluetooth plugin inspector updated to match the AirPort plugin
11 February 2005
- mDNS plugin now removes hosts when they leave the network
- mDNS plugin fixes a caching bug when hosts rename
- mDNS plugin adds icons for browser items
- AirPort plugin adds icons for network types
- AirPort plugin menu displays connected networks
- AirPort plugin menu displays visible networks
- AirPort plugin menu can join hidden networks
- AirPort plugin menu can create an ah-hoc network
- AirPort plugin menu can turn the radio off and on
- Bluetooth plugin prefs. can now scan for linked, favorite, recent or paired devices
- Bluetooth plugin menu displays devices
- Bluetooth plugin adds icons for the device types
24 January 2005
- Preferences updated for all plugins
- Bluetooth Plugin toolbar & menu items for pair, un-pair, send etc
- mDNS Plugin introduced, can browse all service types
- mDNS Plugin can connect to service types with url handlers
- RSScanner can now run threaded or unthreaded
- Scan slider moved to iStumbler preferences and labeld better
- New icons
18 September 2004
- ISPlugin now offers an ISPluginEnvironemnt which allows plugins access to the application windows and the notifications which other plugins produce to support cross-plugin communication.
- LogPlugin can now selectively display or print notifications based on user preferences.
- RSSampleGraph can now, configurable, show a background grid.
- initial window layout is improved
- Another Auto-select tweak to deal with being connected to a network in stealth mode
31 July 2004
- ISPluginManager send out notifications when plugins are loaded, unloaded or selected.
- the preferences toolbar is refreshed whenever plugins are loaded or unloaded.
- auto-select and auto-join logic highly improved.
- auto-join will no longer hop networks, it will only join when not connected.
- auto-select will always select the connected network before any other.
- tables for airport and bluetooth plugin rebuilt to remove display glitches.
- added plugin identifier method to the ISPlugin interface.
- expanded plugins table to show the plugin info and identifier.
- airport plugin noise estimation for 802.11g.
- ISPlugin menus are now loaded and displayed by the application.
- iStumbler prefs. toolbar selects independently from the main window.
- updated the toolbar switch code to make the transition smoother and more predictable.
7 July 2004
- New Plugin for viewing Bluetooth Devices
- BluetoothPlugin scans for IOBluetoothDevices
- BluetoothPlugin shares RSStore & RSRadios with AirPort Plugin
- iStumbler plugin views are now inserted into the responder chain when they are loaded.
- AirPortPlugin can now display noise for AirPort Extreme networks that you are connected to.
- AirPort Inspector expanded to view more details and provide a compact UI
- AirPortScanner updated to collect all available information from the AirPort system, including estimated noise values for AirPort Extreme devices
30 April 2004
Release 86 updates iStumbler's plugin loader and introduces the built-in Log Plugin and the optional GPS plugin which integrates iStumbler with any GPS that supports the NMEA protocol over a serial or bluetooth connection.
- Updated ISPluginManager to installs plugins private frameworks before loading their bundles. this is a bit of a hack but frameworks expect to be located in the executable Frameworks directory, not the plugins.
- Some of the notifications have been updated to include better objects representing the networks scanned or joined.
23 April 2004
- Improved synchronization around creation of ISNodes
- Added ISNodeStoreForgettingNode notification
- ISMonitorController clears when notified of ISNodeStoreForgettingNode
- ISAirPortToolbar clears when notified of ISNodeStoreForgettingNode
- ISAirPortInspector clears when notified of ISNodeStoreForgettingNode
- ISNodeStoreTableView clears when notified of ISNodeStoreForgettingNode
- Extensively tested forgetting of nodes on a short timer
21 April 2004
Release 84 completely remade iStumbler into an extensible, high performance and indispensable wireless scanning utility. Plugins provide unprecedented flexibility, aggressively multi-threading improves performance and iStumbler now monitors the network you've joined as well as nearby networks providing twice as much information.
- XCode Project completely rebuilt.
- ISEncounterGraphs spawn an update thread when created.
- Added ISPlugin interface.
- Wrote Built-in AirPort Plugin to test interface.
- AirPort Plugin Scans in a separate thread
- ISNodeStore can now record information about the connected network
- Connected network is both probed and monitored for double the information
- ISNode and ISNodeStore are now thread safe.
- iStumbler.app is now a simple plugin loader.
- Site updated to XHTML 1.1
- Copy right notices updated to 2004
- site style sheets and layout updated
- Moved .public to it's own site
- Moved radios to the .public site.
22 November 2003
- Preferences are divided up into tabbed panes
- New Mini-controls are used where it made sense
- metal buttons instead of aqua
- Last jagwire build, no further 10.2 support planned
- Preferences are now honored
- location preview removed, look in the nib if you really want to know
- Version numbers change to serial numbers.
4 August 2003
- Monitor now floats above all windows
- Monitor is now transparent
- Further Map support and location pallet demo
24 June 2003
- Implemented monitoring of joined networks
- Implemented .public preferences and best network selection
- ISEncounterGraph is now completely configurable, and draws scaled charts
- The Monitor can now resize properly from very small to very very big
- ISNode and ISNodeStore implement methods to forget old encounters and nodes
- ISPrefsController fully supports memory preference and correctly sets prefs. UI state at startup.
- ISScanController now tells the node store to forget about nodes and encounters as directed in the preferences.
- iStumbler's memory use is now constrained and hovers around 70MB under normal use.
- ISEncounterGraph now scales to 100%, and the minimum scan frequency is now one second.
- selected and monitored node status lines are now updated along with the charts
- Added minimize and zoom commands to the window menu
- Relabeled 'War Chalk' as 'Join Network' and clear the icon when no network is selected.
13 June 2003
- Integrated Four coordinates GPS Package
- Add approx. GPS location
- Added user preferences
- Saves window positions
- Added option to auto-select networks
- Added option to auto-join networks
- Added option to enable GPS support
- Changed to scan as soon as possible on startup
- Sketched out location and monitor support interfaces
18 January 2003
- Added Info panel for the selected access point
- Added type information to access points
- Added info field to access points
- Added FAQ & Manual pages to the web site
- Moved all CSS in site to istumbler.css
- Added save and open log features for reading and writing log files
30 December 2002
- Added graphic histogram of selected network encounters
- Added dock menu with extra features and join network
- Added ISNodeStore class, remove class methods on ISNode
- Reworked Project File, moved classes into Source directory, resources into Resources directory and updated the site.
- Window will now freely resize from very small to quite large.
23 December 2002
- Added class to record GPS Cords
- Improved memory management
- Simplified controller class
- Cleaned up user interface
- Added tool bar control for scan frequency
12 December 2002
- Created a tool bar for all the various tools & info
- Scan Indicator
- Selected MAC SSID
- Selected MAC WEP Status
- Selected MAC Signal Bar
- Selected MAC Signal Text
- Selected MAC Range
- Clear Log
- Rewrote ALL source and changed the license to a BSD Style. This resulted in further code compression and removal of all unused nib elements and controller classes. Will mean more work adding preferences and sound again, maybe speech as well.
- Groomed source, removing a link from ISEncounter to it's node and added copy write and license information to all files.
- Created Objects for ISNode and ISEncounters. Nodes are the AP's with their ssid, mac address, channel and other static attributes, Encounters are moments in time when we record signal levels, noise levels and with the help of GPS potentially the location of a measurement.
- Each Node will have one or more encounters associated with it. Based on this log of measurements we can display several new pieces of information: the signal strength of a Node over time, which can be graphed or displayed with trending information to indicate direction (closer or further away).
- This data-modeling precedes a re-write of the controller classes and scanning code. I'd like to modernize the code-base before adding many new features.
- Added Signal and Range Strings to ISNode, along with range detection.
- Stripped out most remaining MacStumbler code, prefs, logging and speech are all gone!
- The App is much smaller now (267k down from 1.1M!), and loads almost instantly (two bounces tops!)
- Change ScanController to ISScanController (IS for IStumbler) to match naming convention.
26 November 2002
- Added selected AP display with signal strength indicator
- General interface redesign
- Derived initial source from MacStumbler, named project iStumbler.